How I Work
how I work
a free session
It's really important that there's a good match between a client and their coach, and vice versa. This page will tell you a bit more about coaching and what it means to me, but in reality there's no substitute for giving it a try. That's why I offer a free coaching session to people who are interested: that way we can really find out if you want to work with me and if I want to work with you. If you'd like to book in a free session, get in touch.
What is coaching?
The International Coaching Federation defines coaching as 'partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.'
For me, what this means in practice is that I sit with a client and support them to find their direction and/or move their life in the direction they want. I do this through a combination of questions, feedback and assignments. Different people get really different things from coaching, because people are really different.
If you want a bit more information about what coaching is - including how it's different to therapy and mentoring - I really recommend this video from my colleagues at coachingpartner.
what does working with me look like?
People are different, with different circumstances, requirements and ways of working, and we will arrange our coaching to make sure it really serves you in what you need. Here's some guidance on how my coaching engagements often work, based on the clients I've worked with:
- As an introduction to working with me, we will start with a free coaching session.
- Coaching sessions are usually 60-90 minutes, in person, over the phone or via Skype.
- The first thing we'll do if we decide to work together is get really clear on our objectives for coaching: what does success look like for you?
- If I work with a client, it's usually over a period of 4 months.
- We will usually have sessions every 2-3 weeks.
- If we meet in person, it's usually in Central London.
- I'll provide you with a safe space to discuss what's important to you. I'll support and challenge you with questions, feedback and assignments to work on between sessions.
But sometimes this isn't the best way to work with a client. If after our first conversation we decide to work together, we'll discuss how to make it work so that you can make the change you want to make. This might mean we only have one or two more sessions, or it might mean we have sessions over a much longer period.